Tuesday, November 25, 2014

FENCING


Today was another good day.  I have been trying for years to learn Fencing, one of the original Olympic Sports, and I finally got connected with Charlotte Fencing Academy.  Brian Toomey came out to my school for a "learn Fencing in an hour" session which prepared me for my first ever duel.  Speaking of duel, I found it interesting to learn the history of Fencing, which involved originally dueling to the death!  Luckily, society decided that was not the best idea.  After an explanation of all the basics, it was time to get real and get the equipment on.  I placed several layers of what looked like a straight jacket on, gloves, and a face mask with a metal screen.  I was actually dizzy looking out of it at first.  I was ready to poke someone nonetheless!  And then Brian approached me for my first practice.  I'm not going to lie to you, I was a little nervous when a guy with a dark screened mask approached me with a sword or foil as it is called.  Even though he assured me that Fencing is one of the safest sports around, a foil pointing at you is a little unnerving.  I, however, had a foil as well and was ready to lunge.  I paired up with some of our staff members in a one on one match to the death.....or to the poke.  Yes I got poked a few times but scored a few of my own as well.  This was a lot of fun today.  I loved the sound of the foils clinking together and the thrill of the one on one competition.  Thanks again Brian  for teaching me a new sport!


1 comment:

  1. you know i read some place that it takes 10,000 hours to master a skill, thats roughly over a year. To learn and master something requires time, effort and persistance.

    ReplyDelete