Saturday, November 1, 2014

SQUASH!


Today was a great day.  Another sport learned!  As you know, my whole mission is to find new and upcoming sports and activities that keep our community active.  And here is a great one, Squash.  What is it?? Well I always hate to compare sports.  Most passionate players of sport do not want to be compared to something else and squash is a very popular sport from England in and of itself.  But to be honest it is very similar to Racquetball.  After reading about a group starting a Squash club in Charlotte, I had to try it out.  I took my kids and some friends to participate in their open house today.  I was ready  to "squash" some competition.........ok, moving on.   However, with most things I've played, I was challenged.  So after one day of playing a pick up game at the Charlotte Squash Club's new and beautiful facility, here is what I know.
Squash uses longer rackets than racquetball, has a smaller and slower ball, is played on a shorter court but a similar width court as racquetball, and the scoring is to 11, not 15.
I really liked this sport.  I read that in 2003, it was ranked the #1 healthiest sport to play.  I definitely worked up a sweat in the few minutes playing on court and I really felt more successful at it than racquetball, which means I was able to track the slower moving ball better in this sport.  
And it didn't hurt that I won a raffle at the open house and selected a brand new racket and my sons won a ball and protection glasses!  BONUS!
Thank you Jim for letting me try a new sport today!



No comments:

Post a Comment