Saturday, June 25, 2011

EVENT # 6 Kayaking (June 25)

Tonight I returned to one of my favorite hobbies, flatwater kayaking.  For those of you who don't know the differences, this is not the one where you are on rapids.  The risk for flipping over is low but one of my goals is to learn to whitewater kayak eventually.  The great thing about flatwater kayaking is the nature involved.  I again went to Col. Beatty Park in Charlotte and as I started out tonight, I noticed a small head sticking out of the water.  I have seen turtles before but this looked a little different.  It quickly dove under the water with a flip turn of sorts displaying a rather large back.  I slowed my kayak to a halt to wait for a return when I heard a "kurplunk" about 10 yards behind me.  My relaxed kayak trip was now getting my heart rate up.  I was imagining the Loc Ness Monster at this point.  It reappeared off to the right of me as I started paddling again poking it's head out of the water.  This time as it dove under the water, it decided to show off it's long tail and slapped the water as it went under.  Now, I was beginning to realize what this creature was under the water.  I looked it up when I arrived home and yes it was a lake otter having a little fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment