Wednesday, June 29, 2011

EVENT: ZUMBA - FAILED!!!!! EVENT # 8: TOTAL STRENGTH TRAINING at the YMCA (JUNE 29)

So what is your definition of a sport?  Does weight training count?  I have been supplementing my sports events with cardio workouts and resistance training on my off days but after my wife invited me to this class at the Y today, I am DEFINITELY counting this as an event!  Plus, the whole idea behind this challenge is to do different things and this was something beyond my normal 20 -30 minutes of lifting free weights and machines.  Today, my wife challenged me to join her in this total strength class at the Y.  It took a little convincing on her part because I knew it was a class of mostly women.  Guys don't typically take these classes but after today, I wonder why not.  I am sitting here at 8pm at night after participating in the class at 10 this morning and I am already sore and physically drained.  This has been my most demanding workout so far but it was not impossible.  The instructor has us doing over 100 air squats as well as adding in high repetitions of shoulder presses.  We did burpees with dumbbells and something where you had to start in a lying down position holding your weight straight out and then try to get to a kneeling position and finally to a standing position.  All of this multiple times.  I hung in there and probably did 75% of the instructors repetitions throughout the class.  Not too bad.  So thanks to my wife for introducing me to an event that will probably take me an hour to get out of bed in the morning!  And yes, my wife immediately asked me to stay for her Zumba Class afterwards.  I, of course, had to try it and folks, I was out of there in 30 seconds!  I just couldn't do it, even standing in the very back of the class because I know someone would have a video of that on you tube trying to shake my hips!

No comments:

Post a Comment