Saturday, July 9, 2011

EVENT # 12 PADDLE BOARDING (July 9)


This was the COOLEST thing I've done all summer so far!  In fact, I think I have a new hobby.  I love to kayak, as you can tell from my earlier entry.  However, today I went to Lake Norman for some "real" kayaking.  As I was coming back in to dock my boat, I noticed a few people doing this thing called Paddle boarding.  Now I have known about this for a few years, but have never actually gotten the chance to try it.  That is the cool thing about this challenge this summer....sometimes I have to really seek something and sometimes it shows up right in front of me.  So long story short, I got connected with a guy named Rob with My Aloha Paddle Sport and Fitness in Lake Norman today.  His website is www.standuplkn.com.  Rob was very gracious to allow me to try paddle boarding today.  In my mind, this was something that I felt like I could really do but I figured it would be a different story once I got on.  Rob started me out on my knees paddling and then lifting one knee at a time, I was up and balancing and paddling standing up!  I NEVER once fell in the water.  Yes, I know that would make for a great story here, however, I am pumped about how cool this was and how much fun I was having on this board.  The great thing about this too is that when I am kayaking, I tend to get a lower back ache and a little pain through my hamstrings.  Here there is no pressure on your spinal cord from sitting too long.  It was smooth and very comfortable.  Thanks Rob for introducing me to a new sport!!

No comments:

Post a Comment