Sunday, July 17, 2011

HALFTIME SPEECH: "PUT ME IN COACH.....I'M READY TO PLAY"



First of all, let me say how blessed I feel to have been healthy enough to participate in 15 events so far.  I really hope to finish this thing by Labor Day, which will put me at 30 sports in 90 days.  It as been as much fun to play these sports as it has to search for them.  It is kind of like finding a good deal.  So far, after 15 events now, I have only spent $50 and that was the birthday gift to my wife for ballroom dance lessons.  My goal is to spend as little as possible to prove that there are free and cheap things to do to stay active.  Most people think you have to pay hugh fees to play in a league.  It just takes some pre-planning and a simple question of asking "Can I Play?"

HOW DID I COME UP WITH THIS CHALLENGE?
Again, I was inspired by this video:  http://eas.com/unstoppabletour
I wanted to try this but modify it for the "average joe" who works and has a family and obligations.  So I picked a season of my life (summer) where I knew I could devote some energy into this and with the support of my wife....I think, I have been playing and blogging all summer.  I also have been mulling over this idea for a while now.  I wanted to try a workout that focused on cross-training, very similar to that show Shaq Vs.  Remember how he was trying to get into shape for the NBA and decided to cross train by competing against other athletes?  He was not afraid of failing.  He just enjoyed the art of competing and playing.  That is what I have focused on so far.

WHERE IS THIS GOING?
Hopefully to 30!  Maybe 31 since it has been noted that walking Disney was NOT a sport.  I agree.  I should have used a pedometer on those days to tally my steps.  Then it would have been interesting.  Anyway, I really hope to inspire my own two boys by doing this so that they will have a desire to get out and play as well as my 500 students at my elementary school.  I have quite a few things to tell them when we get back to school and ask that famous question, "What did you do this Summer?"

No comments:

Post a Comment