Thursday, July 21, 2011

EVENT # 17 RUGBY (July 21)


Today was the first day that I was feeling a little exhaustion from this challenge.  Maybe it was the heat.  My recovery time has been great though.  I thought I would be hurting after kayak polo the other night but I woke up feeling pretty good.  Things changed quickly tonight as I participated in Touch Rugby.  Let me put the emphasis on "touch", which is a good thing.  My energy came back to me tonight as I was once again thrown into a sport in which I have never played.  I was invited by a guy named Adam Angulo, who is also a parent at my school.  He runs the Matthews Rugby Club (for ages 6-18) in Matthews, NC.  Find him at:  www.matthewsrugbyclub.com.    He is located with his son on the picture.
My friend Jason accompanied me again for this adventure tonight.  He is the one in the blue and I'm the one with gray hair making a pass.  You may wonder why I'm passing backwards but that is the way rugby is played.  Tough concept to grasp but basically it is a non-stop running game in which players pass the ball  at an angle behind them to their teammates as they advance toward their goal.  I don't want to explain too much more because I was trying to grasp the whole concept myself.   I did have one pass bounce off my head because I was not in position and ready for it and I dropped a few along the way but overall it was a really great workout and fun!  THANKS TO ADAM AND RUGBY GUYS for not only allowing me to play but to participate in a safer and modified version of rugby so I can try to make it to event 18.
http://www.matthewsrugbyclub.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment